Tuesday, August 26, 2008

What to write about? Think you idiot.....

Since I have been warned not to write about my favorite topic of blogging, my blogging has gone into a dry phase these days. Not that there are nothing to write about, but I am trying to refrain from writing anything personal and other than those, there are only some monotonous themes.

But finally I got something worth writing. I came across a movie which, other than being a movie, was an insight of the fact if I was a feminist. If discussions on message board and my disliking for the movie are anything to go by, I would say I am not. 

The movie was Hard candy, a 2005 movie starring Juno star Ellen Page in the lead role. For the record, I hated the movie and gave it a 5 out of 10. But still, I would recommend to all guys, to all dudes. Why am I recommending the movie even when I didnt like it, and that to boys only? I am doing so because this movie is quite able to make it clear for a guy whether he is feminist or not. I am not kidding. Watch it, and if you like it, then you most probably are and if you dont, you are probably not.

Debate about the movie should be done after watching the movie, I would just write my view about the movie now and I would say that you read them after you have watched the movie. I for one, did sympathize for the guy, even if he indeed was a pedophile (although the movie never makes it clear, which only makes him more easy to sympathize with). Till the end, I just didnt care whether he was a pedophile or if he did molest Hayley's friend, I just wanted him to get out and kill that bit*h. Dont get me wrong. I am all in for the stories where the hunter becomes prey and isnt this the end of all good stories? Where the movie fails, is the fact that they never actually show Jeff doing anything wrong to any girl. How the viewer is supposed to dislike him then? And then they show Hayley flirting with him on net, which makes her look in grey shade, and which sure isnt positive. And then they show Haley making Jeff so miserable that it's unbearable to watch. That guy just keeps becoming more and more miserable. Hayley drugs him, ties him in his own house, discovers a secret locker, guesses the code so easily (come on dude, who in this age still puts ex-girlfriend's birth date as password?), then he gets a gun but even then she is able to make him unconscious, then she cuts his genitelia (well, almost), he even gets free once more but only to get stunned by Hayley once again, then he gets his noose tied up by her for suicide but he once again becomes free and as fate (or the script writer) would have it, Hayley makes him do suicide in the end. I mean, how stupid this guy is? Either he just wasnt an actual pedofile (otherwise how hard it would have been for him to tackle a 14 year old girl, even after becoming free thrice?) and that makes the whole movie without any point (or with one point, showing harassement of a adult male from a 14 year old girl). Or, he was indeed a pedophile, but the movie is still stupid cause even after being a murderer and pedophile, he just couldnt handle a teen age girl. 

On message boards, people were absolutely divided, with some claiming that those who didnt like the movie were anti-feminists and others saying that those who liked were feminist. I for one, as I said, didnt like it. Watch the movie, read my thouhghts above and decide what you think, about yourself and me.

In other news, I have started watching Scrubs and its incredible. Its a perfect blend of all kind of characters- quirky, humorous, funny, evil, good-hearted, tough, soft, silly and downright stupid, all forced to be with each other. But what takes the cake is the show's ability of being meaningful even after a lot of humor involved. The lines narrated by the lead protagonist at the end of each episode not only sum up the theme of that particular episode, they also give interesting insights of human emotions. 

How I got interested in Scrubs is a story in itself. I went to CS on 15th August, and since the person I was supposed to meet was to turn up after three hours, I started watching television. Somehow I stumbles in Star World and coincidently, they were Scrubs and that too in some back to back fashion. So I watched two episodes and got immediately interested.

I also finished Lost: Via domus and though what other reviews said is entirely true-that it is a fan service for the fans of LOST, I would say it was not that bad of a game. But then again, that might be cause I knew characters (I had watched about 10 initial episodes of LOST). Still, worth playing if you have nothing else to play.

Also, watched a few movies in between. Here are the ratings-

Indiana Jones and the kingdom of crystal skull- 8/10.

The School of rock- 8/10.

Children of heaven- 8/10.

Sideways- 6/10.

No country for old men- 8/10.

Hellboy 2: The golden army- 8/10.

Hard candy- 5/10.

Mean girls- 9/10.

Groundhog day- 8/10.

The mummy 3: tomb of the dragon emporer- 5/10.

No comments: